Saturday, August 1, 2015

Lazy and Lovely

I had thought that being out on the trail would somehow transform me into a morning person. That the promise of a sunrise and getting some miles done before the heat kicked in would get my butt out of the tent. There have been a few days like that, but only a few. Since I knew I only wanted to get 11 miles done today, I was extra lazy and didn't start getting anywhere until 9:30. 

No matter, this view waited for me!


The temperature climbed, and I twisted my way in and out of burn areas and refreshing shade. Ponds and lakes glittered in the sun. 

Wasco Lake

Lunch and water refill at Rockpile Lake. Wish the timing would have worked out to camp here. It's beautiful!

If you look closely at the far end, Bam-Bam is swimming. 

This chick kept a close eye on me, but hung out nearby the whole time I ate lunch. 

Met 3 ladies doing a section going south, and had a nice chat. They called themselves the 'scout moms', and they were taking the opportunity to hike without their boys, who are mostly grown. We talked about our sons, and they affirmed that I was doing a wonderful thing, showing mine that women can do anything, even if they're moms. I told them the best lesson was from his father, who is teaching him to be a supportive, amazing man and husband.  I don't think I've met many other moms out here, and it was nice to have a few minutes with them. 

Camped early after hitting my goal. My probably-not-super-accurate thermometer said it was 110 degrees. Even if that's not quite right, the sun took a lot out of me today. 

A thru hiker named No-Tent stopped and shared a candy bar (woohoo!) and stories about people he met in California. A southbound girl named Hakuna Matata is sharing my campsite and this view!


Tomorrow I hike around this gorgeous monster!

1 comment: