Monday, August 3, 2015

Making Miles

Leaving Olallie Lake was hard. I wanted nothing more than to sit on that porch or maybe nap in a rowboat, and listen to PCT hikers tell stories all day. 


Southbounder Pan, playing his namesake flute. As one does. 



Brett and Amy, section hiking the same route I am through Oregon. We've caught up at a few stopping points now, and due to the timing of their reservation at Timberline, this may be the last time we cross paths. Guys, I don't know how you don't have trail names. Every time I see you you're smiling and looking so happy with each other, and the song "I Got You Babe" came into my head when I left today. Maybe Sonny & Cher? ;)

I was warned (thank you, Mantis and Future Dad) that this stretch would have no nice views, but was a good downhill area to pound out some miles. So I did! 19.17 to be exact. My best yet, and it was over 95 degrees. I didn't see another human til after 4:00, which is odd and was not my favorite thing. 

No hitchhikers! I let him stay for a bit. He was much more pleasant than the swarms of yellow jackets that wanted to attach to my pack a few miles later. 


Luckily, the area of the burn section I had to walk through was small. It still smelled like charred wood and felt desolate and sad. 


Most of my day looked pretty much like this. No epic views, but it was glorious to have pine needles under my feet and plenty of shade!

Warm Springs River

My home for the night is on the other side. This little spot is cute, but I think the regular residents may keep me awake for a bit. I hear lots of rustling critters playing by the water!

Couple days til Timberline! Home is closer every day!


2 comments:

  1. Thank you for taking us all along on your journey! I am so incredibly proud of you. And of course somewhat jealous too. Your blog gives me a few minutes away every day to let my mind wander through the wilderness with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm home now and going back through my posts. So glad I took the time to do this every night, even when I was exhausted!

      Delete