Monday, August 3, 2015

Brush with Fame

Nearly 364 miles behind me. It hardly feels real, but my app keeps telling me I'm inching my way closer to Timberline and then Bridge of the Gods!

Timothy Lake

When I saw Timothy Lake on the map, I thought it would be a great place to camp with the family sometime. I'm sure it would be, but there is a distinct difference between a large, public campground like this and the many amazing places I've seen in these hundred miles. Trash. I've been trying to pick up trash on the trail where I see it. Even conscientious PCT hikers will miss a wrapper now and then. But I couldn't begin to keep up with the garbage here. Most of it toilet paper. People, I beg you. Pack out your garbage. As a lady camper who's gone nearly 400 miles...if I can do it, so can you. 

Anyway. Timothy Lake was still a nice spot for a little break. 



And a little spa lunch. 
Filter your water, friends. You never know what happened upstream. 

Little Crater Lake was just a quarter mile off the trail, so I had to check it out. 


Blue and deep and gorgeous. 


And apparently not a crater. 

I had started the day with big plans to do my first 20 mile day. The weather was mercifully cooler, the elevation change wasn't too crazy, and after 19 yesterday, why not? But as I stopped at a spring and campsite about 4 miles short of my goal, I said hello to the two ladies already camped and decided it was a lovely spot. 

This trail really makes me believe things happen for a reason. 

This is Drag'n Fly. We first heard of her when Neon was chatting with Sprout a few weeks ago. 
Drag'n Fly holds the record for being the oldest woman to finish a thru hike of the Appalachain Trail on the east coast, at 74 years old!  Shorter than the PCT, and easier to resupply, but with no kind regard to holding close to a 15% grade or less like its western sister, the AT is much more difficult terrain to cover.  
Drag'n Fly also camped out on the Appalachain Trail to meet Scott Jurek as he attempted (and succeeded) to break the supported speed record for that trail. 
It was wonderful to listen to her stories and get some great tips from her. I feel like I've met a member of hiking royalty, and thrilled I didn't make my goal today!

Read more about Drag'n Fly here: Drag'n Fly

No comments:

Post a Comment