Saturday, August 1, 2015

Bucket List

Remember what I said yesterday about not waking up early most days? Today was an exception, and I'm glad. Not sure how I would have fit so much if I hadn't woke with the sun!

Thanks to Hakuna Matata for waking up early! She's hiking southbound solo, inspired by her parents who had always talked about doing it. I'm sure they're so proud of you! 

Finally, after living near the Catskills in NY, and hiking hundreds of miles in Oregon, it happened. I saw a bear. In the wild. 


I heard it before I saw it, tearing bark off a dead tree to find a snack. She was focusing pretty hard and didn't hear or smell me coming! I got a few pictures and a quick video, and when she took a few steps toward the trail, I yelled and she took off running. For those who don't know, I was a zookeeper for a few years and bears became one of my favorite animals. I'm not dumb enough to try to get close or make friends, just wanted to catch s glimpse. Bucket list item checked off!

Russell Creek 

The map says "Potentially Dangerous creek crossing." I'm sure many hikers have no problem with this quick moving mountain stream. I spent close to 45 minutes hiking up and down the edge, trying to find just the right spot, hopefully letting my feet stay dry. No luck. I had to plunge my shoes into the water and balance across. I've had a few hikers who knew I started with a friend ask me how hiking alone is different. For me, this is one of the hugest differences. Getting over the parts that scare me with nobody else motivating me to do it. 

From there, the trail climbs and climbs to this perfect little spot. Tonight I get to look back at Mt Jefferson:

And look ahead to Mt Hood:

If you look closely, Mt St Helens is even in there. Couldn't have asked for a better place to land!

Sharing this piece of Oregon heaven with Paul, who just happens to come here every year, and sobos Mantis and Future Dad. Mantis's girlfriend is heading north from Mexico, and they're hoping to meet up in Crater Lake. How adorable is that!

[Edit] Mantis has a blog too. You should go read it: Corkbottle

No comments:

Post a Comment