Monday, July 27, 2015

Enjoy the View!

Today probably would have been the most epic views of the trip so far as I wound my way through the bases of the 3 Sisters. But I was shut out by some of the Pacific Northwest's finest clouds. But you know what, Oregon? I'm not even mad. It was kinda nice to have some clouds after 14 days of the bluest sky ever. Portland friends may understand the feeling. 


So, instead of being bitter (which I think some other hikers were) about what I couldn't see, I focused on what was awesome about what I could. 


I ran into this couple yesterday, and I'm so happy I found them again. 

They sectioned hiked nearly 40 years ago when they were newlyweds. Now they're out here again. With the same exterior frame packs they used before! How sweet! Not sure if it will stick, but I gave them the names Mink and Marten. 

Dragonglass! 

Which is good, because the clouds are low and it's feeling like White Walker weather up here. Today's section went through the Obsidian Limited Entry Area. With the clouds on top of me, and the crazy gorgeous landscape, I expected a unicorn to prance by. Or maybe, after all these miles, a bear. No luck on either. 

Obsidian Falls


This creek has water from a spring that came from the base of North Sister. Might have magical properties. Filtered it anyway. 


I was snuggled down early after 16 miles, and Windscreen joined me! We met him at Shelter Cove before we left. Very great dude. I'm in my down jacket, down sleeping bag, double walled tent, and he contemplated cowboy (tentless) camping 
before putting up his minimal tarp. Basically a large poncho that can cover your pack, a hiking pole and a few stakes convert it to a tent that as Windscreen describes it, "perfectly fits a half-sized adult human." I feel like I'm in a Winnebago compared to him. 

Tomorrow I get to see my most favorite trail angel ever! Let's hope he doesn't drop my resupply box and run when he smells me!

No comments:

Post a Comment