Friday, July 17, 2015

I'll See Your Lake and Raise You a Mountain

From the un-glorious but easy water spigots of the Mazama Campgrounds at Crater Lake to the next water source is about 26 miles. We accomplished a respectable 10 miles yesterday, but that left us with a record 16 to do today. 

(Last night's campsite at Grouse Hill)

Thanks to Whoopsie's attention to the clock, we left at a decent time, and set a blistering pace. (Who's Whoopsie? A rockstar of a hiker, breast cancer survivor, Iron Man finisher. In her 60s. Boom.)

Blue skies and gentle terrain, mostly downhill, helped us log 11 miles by 1pm. We're getting stronger and faster every day. There also may have been Nutella involved. You don't need to know all our secrets. 


When the challenge increased, so did the rewards. I've never even heard of this place, and I've never seen anything so striking. 

Mt Theilsen 

Impressive from a distance, I don't think any of us were prepared for how spectacular this thing would look when we got closer. 

So many different rocky things going on here, I wish we had a geology guide with us. 

Honestly. I think I'm more impressed by this than I was Crater Lake. Significantly less tourists, too. The trail leads to the other side for more views. 

Oregon is just showing off now. 

Another couple twisty miles to Thielsen Creek, and unexpected beauty. 


This state just doesn't quit. 

No comments:

Post a Comment