Monday, July 27, 2015

Misty, Twisty

No lake sunrise for day 20. We'll have to settle for a mountain sunrise from my campsite. 



I am glad I camped when I did last night. It never did rain, but the next section of trail was best tackled on fresh legs. 


The rock formations through the lava fields here are stunning. My calves felt stunning, to after climbing the switchbacks that made up this wall. 


The views were obscured nearly all day by clouds, but I did get this little peek. 


As the trail winds itself north, it gets more 'crowded'. Lots of day hikers, section hikers, some dogs to pet, and some trail runners. How amazing to have this scenery while you train!

Made it to the Dee Wright Observatory for an ill-communicated rendezvous with the family. 


It's a tower built from lava rocks, with tiny windows situated with plaques so that you can see specific mountains. Would love to come back on a sunny day. The sisters still only teased me. 


But I got to meet these guys!

This is Tom and Jerry. They pretended to be impressed that I walked here from Ashland. Then they told me they rode their bikes here from Bar Harbor, Maine! To celebrate Tom's 70th birthday. What?!

The best trail angels ever found me, and drove me right to a campsite that has a picnic table and is free. (I'm still kinda waiting for someone to come kick me out.) They brought the most thoughtful thing ever. A jug with piping hot water, soap, a washcloth and towel. You're darn right I took a makeshift bath in the pit toilet camp bathroom. AND a fresh change of clothes to wear! 


As a reward to these guys for being awesome and driving 3 hours home with my dirty laundry, a deer pranced through my posh campsite before these guys
left.  Already looking forward to seeing you again next week, dudes. Love you tons and bunches!

No comments:

Post a Comment